FICUNAM, the UNAM International Film Festival, was founded by the National Autonomous University of Mexico in 2011. Some of our goals are the academic research and exploration of cinema as well as offering, year after year, an important window for the exhibition in Mexico of international independent films.
The eighth edition of FICUNAM will be held from February 28th March 6th, 2018. The award ceremony will take place in Mexico City on Tuesday 6th of March, 2018.
Through Feats. Film Schools Gathering, FICUNAM aims to address the new generations, in particular film students, and contribute thus in the formation of new talents. This is a space to promote networking and sharing between young creators from all over the world.
1. Participation is open to all entries by students enrolled in film schools from the Iberian-American region, considering as such Latin America, Spain, and Portugal.
2. The director of the submitted short films must be an active student or a recent graduate. It is necessary for the director to have been enrolled during the 2016/2017 school period. No entries by former students will be accepted. The films presented must be school productions.
3. Films will be presented in their original language and with English and Spanish subtitles. In case of featuring other language than Spanish a dialogue list with a translation into this language -and english- must be submitted.
4. Each school is invited to present a selection of three films produced from 2017 to the present. None of these can exceed a running time of 50 minutes.
5. Students can also apply independently with films produced from 2017 onwards within the program of activities of his or her school. Running time cannot exceed 50 minutes.
6. Both the selection made by the FICUNAM Selection Committee and the final decision of the Jury are not subject to appeal.
7. Final deadline for this call is Friday, October, 27th, 2017, at 18 hrs, Mexican Central Time. The Festival Selection Committee is not obliged to consider films submitted after deadline.
8. Submission of a film into this Call entails the acceptance of this set of Rules & Regulations.
1. Films included in the section Feats. Film Schools Gathering, will be competing for the:
• Puma Feats Award
Silver medal designed by Mexican artist Marín Soto Climent
$35,000.00 pesos M.N.
1 In order to submit an entry for the competition it is necessary to send the following items to the Festival before October 27th, 2017:
• Filled-out application form (available at the Festival web page, ficunam.org).
• An online version of the film, including password.
Important Note: It is necessary to specify whether the submitted version of the film is a final cut or a work in progress.
1. Needed items for the catalogue and the promotion of the Festival, to be submitted before January 12th, 2018:
2. Participating schools must send:
3. In case there were any specifications in relation to the setup or the checking of a film this must be informed by the producer through a written note delivered together with the material
4. Participating films will deliver a promotional set of images of the film. If this material is not delivered, the Festival will copy stills and fragments (with a maximum running time of 3 minutes) of the selected films for promotional use in the Festival’s web page and other media.
1. In case the film is selected, shipping expenses of the screening copy of the film will be paid by applicants. No unpaid shipments will be accepted. Due to the local customs system, if you are using a courier service we recommend you to include in your package the legend: "VALOR COMERCIAL 5 USD." "PARA FINES CULTURALES ÚNICAMENTE."
2. None of the materials received during the selection process will be returned to senders.
3. The sender should inform FICUNAM the time of shipment and guide number for the sent screening copy.
4. All the materials should be submitted to:
06700 Colonia Roma
+52 55 55339079
1. Each of the selected schools will count with an invitation including accommodation for the director of the competing film and a professor representing the school. Selected films of schools unable to confirm their attendance can be included in the program, with the previous authorization of the applicant institution, as non-competitive presentations.
1. The Festival will set a digital archive with its programmed films. This space for research and education will only be open to students and professionals authorized by the Festival.
2. Throughout the year, the Festival will organize screening seasons in cultural spaces and educational institutions in Mexico City and throughout the Mexican Republic showing a selection of films in its latest edition. Authorization will be asked previously in all cases.
3. By participating in the FICUNAM selection, films are invited to join —with previous authorization of the film’s representative agent— the platform of Festival Scope, a partner of the Festival accessible for film professionals.
+52 55 5533 9079